Teenagers are always conscious about their health and on the other hand, many teenagers care very less about it. Eating habit is one of the most common and basic principles of maintaining fitness. The quality and quantity of food we eat matters a lot in our digestion. Many children from poor countries suffer from malnutrition due to the lack of food while many children in developed nations are obese at a very small age. Keeping these things in mind, I am sharing some simple and effective health maintaining techniques.
- Try to reduce the intake of JUNK foods like cookies, sweet candy, frozen desserts, chips, and fries, which usually have a lot of sugar, unhealthful fat and salt.
- For a quick snack-food, try eating orange, apple or banana; a small bowl of carrots with sliced vegetables.
- Don’t add sugar to your food and drinks (Excess sugar is quite harmful for teens).
- Drink fat-free or low-fat milk (Don’t worry, it will taste same)
- Soda, energy drinks, sweet tea and some juices have added sugars (a source of extra calories).
- Always do little heavy breakfast as it will give you enough energy to carry out daily tasks.
- Don’t consume heavy or fried food in dinner, try eating light food like pulses, soup, milk, bread butter with fresh fruits.
We know that our body contains 70% water and we should maintain it in every possible way. Doctors all over the world are researching ultimate and easiest practices to maintain the health and some have come to the conclusion that:
- We should always drink water in a sitting position.
- We should drink at least one liter of water immediately after waking up in morning.
- We should drink luke warm water, 45 minutes after every meal.
Trust me, if you follow these three above steps, then your chances of visiting a doctor for any disease will reduce by 90%.
Different people need the different amount of calories to be active or stay healthy without over weighting. The number of calories your body need depends on:
- Whether you are male or female
- Your genes
- Your age
- Your height
- Your Weight
- Whether you are still growing, and how active you are, which may not be same every day.
Calories aren’t bad for teens. If they are consumed in right amount and at right time, they are helpful for overall growth. If we are consuming excess amount of calories, without burning them through exercise, then we are on wrong and dangerous path. Best practice to overcome this type of problem is that we should first check the demand of calories for our body by consulting a doctor and then taking that amount of calories strictly. We can check the calorie chart on the food item that we are consuming or if the chart is missing or in case of non-packaged items, we can check calories of those by searching on internet. Calories are increasing in many food items as it was earlier. Companies nowadays are focusing on taste of customers with comprising calories. In general, men requires 1200-1600 calories a day and for women it is 1000-1200 calories a day. Here is a list of some food items below that contains many calories and should be avoided as possible.
|Fried pasta||124 calories per 100 gram|
|Oily fish||262 calories per 100 gram|
|Deep fried meat||352 calories per 100 gram|
|Vegetable oils||124 calories per tablespoon|
|Animal fats||117 calories per tablespoon|
|Dark chocolates||550 calories per 100 gram|
Manage Your Food Portions
- A ‘portion’ is how much food you choose to eat at one time, whether in a café, from a packed meal, at school or at home. Many people eat larger portions than they require, especially when away from home. Ready-to-eat meals from a grocery store, restaurant or at school may give you excess portions than your body needs to stay charged up. The weight-control information network has some tips to help you eat and drink an appropriate amount of food and beverages for you, whether you are at home or anywhere else.
7 Ways to Manage Your Food Portion
- Measure your food portion accurately, according to your need
- Estimate the serving size of food
- Measure calories in food
- Measure oil and cholesterol content in food
- Measure the milk properly when making tea or coffee
- Eat slowly in a small plate with small serving
- Maintain some time between first and second serving
Do you know?
- Just one fast food meal of any restaurant may have more calories than you require in an entire day. And when people are provided more food, they may eat or drink more, even if they don’t want it. This practice may lead to weight gain (obesity). When consuming fast food, always select small portions or healthier options, like a veggie wrap or fresh salad instead of fries or roasted chicken.